Materials for Design
Master Elective, Since 2015
Faculty of Industrial Design Engineering, TU Delft
Materials for Design (MfD) Course is an intrinsically and didactically attractive program with a strong focus on ‘material driven design’ and ‘materials experience’. Students learn a design method to facilitate designing for material experiences when a material is the departure point in the design process. Several projects, workshops and lectures are given to practice the design process when a particular material is the subject of the design effort.
AIM OF THE COURSE
Generating knowledge on technical and experiential aspects of materials to be involved in the design process
- Creating motivation for using different types of tools and methods in material driven design
- How do we design meaningful experiences with and for emerging materials?
- What are the current technologies and issues in materials for design (e.g. advanced materials, smart materials, bio-based materials, etc.)?
- What are the tools and methods in understanding, selecting and designing with materials?
- How can we find a meaningful application for a new material?