Dr. Valentina Rognoli
Assistant Professor - Politecnico di Milano, Italy
Valentina is an Assistant Professor at the Design Department at the School of Design, Politecnico di Milano. She has been working in the field of materials for design for almost twenty years gaining expertise on this topic both in research and education. She has always been interested on the expressive-sensorial dimension of materials and their emotional aspects. Currently, her research and education activities are focused on emerging materials experiences, Materials Driven Design (MDD) method, materials interactions, DIY Materials, tinkering with materials, CMF (colour, material and finishing) design, repairing and imperfection.
Additionally, she is one of the founders of the Experience and Interaction Research Lab at the Design Department. She collaborates with Polifactory, the makerspace of Politecnico di Milano and has also started Materiali&Design, the materials library at the School of Design, back in 1999.
At the institution, she is involved with the Technical and Scientific Committee of the Product Design course and is responsible for the internationalization process.
In 2014, she was involved as research collaborator with Digital DIY, a European Union funded project that focused on the creative community in the digital environment and on the DIY approach. In 2016 she won as the principal investigator on an internal call with the project entitled "ICS_Materials: scenarios and methods for designing (with) interactive, connected and smart materials."
Ayala, C., Rognoli, V. (in preparation, available upon request). The New Materials Aesthetics, Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Materials as triggers of new sensorial experiences. To appear in Proceedings of the International Conference Design for the Next - EAD12, June 12-14, Rome, Italy.
Ayala, C., Rognoli, V., Karana, E. (in preparation, available upon request). Five Kingdoms of DIY Materials for Design. To appear in Proceedings of International Conference on Experiential Knowledge - EKSIG2017, June 19-20, Delft, the Netherlands.
- Parisi S., Rognoli V., Ayala C. (2016). Designing Materials Experiences through Passing of Time, Material Driven Design Method applied to Mycelium based Composites. In: Proceedings of 10th International Conference on Design & Emotion, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, September 2016 pp.239-255
- Rognoli V., Ayala C., Parisi S., (2016). The emotional value of Do-it-yourself materials. In: Proceedings of 10th International Conference on Design & Emotion, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, September 2016. Pp. 233-241.
- Rognoli, V., Bianchini, M., Maffei, S., & Karana, E. (2015). DIY Materials. Special Issue on Emerging Materials Experience. Materials and Design, vol. 86, pp. 692–702; DOI 10.1016/j.matdes.2015.07.020
- Rognoli V., (2015). Dynamism and imperfection as emerging materials experiences. A case study. In: Proceedings of DesForm 2015 - Aesthetics of Interaction: Dynamic, Multisensory, Wise. 9th International Conference on Design and Semantics of Form and Movement, Politecnico di Milano, IT; 10/2015
- Rognoli V., Karana, E. (2014). Towards a New Materials Aesthetic Based on Imperfection and Graceful Ageing. In: E. Karana, O. Pedgley, O., & V. Rognoli (Eds.) Materials Experience: Fundamentals of Materials and Design (pp. 145-154). Butterworth-Heinemann: Elsevier, UK
- Rognoli V., (2010). A broad survey on expressive-sensorial characterization of materials for design education. Metu, Journal of the Faculty of Architecture, vol. 27; p. 287-300. DOI 10.4305/METU.JFA.2010.2.16